Mirova Natural Capital, Latin America Director
Full time, Latin America based opportunity
Mirova Natural Capital is an impact investment platform that manages investments into growth businesses that can deliver financial returns and tangible environmental and social improvements in both terrestrial and ocean landscapes. Althelia Funds is managed by Mirova Natural Capital (MNC) Limited, an affiliate of Mirova and Natixis Investment Managers.
Althelia Funds is headquartered in London and Paris, with projects in Latin America, Africa and Asia. We currently have three funds under management – the Althelia Climate Fund (ACF), the Land Degradation Neutrality Fund (LDN) and the Althelia Sustainable Ocean Fund (SOF). Althelia Funds are also the appointed investment Advisor to the AGRI3 Fund. Althelia Funds are in the process of launching other financing vehicles in the sustainable landuse space.
This opportunity is to lead MNC’s operations in Latin America. The main focus of the role will be working with a London based fund manager to deliver the Latin America portion of a new debt/equity mandate on climate and biodiversity, as well as managing existing investments.
- Set and lead the execution of Latin America based investments for a Climate and Biodiversity private debt and equity fund.
- At the portfolio level:
- Building a portfolio of debt/equity investments in the climate change and land-use space, specifically focusing on agroforestry, land restoration and REDD+.
- Reporting internally and to investors in a structured way on the performance of sourcing and executed transactions in terms of:
- Environmental and social governance.
- At the transaction level, with the support of London and Lima based analysts and technical specialists:
- Sourcing suitable investment opportunities.
- Structuring debt/equity transactions (which may involve de-risking tools such as guarantees, junior capital etc).
- Guiding them through a screening, due diligence and contracting process
- Being responsible for overall transaction performance and proactively managing the counterparties
- Maintaining relationships with public sector or private philanthropic actors who can de-risk and support investments.
- Ad hoc support on onboarding new investments from new or existing investors.
- Frequent travel across Latin America and quarterly visits to UK.
- Senior Manager / Director level professional with strong track record of private equity/debt investing in Latin America.
- At least 5 years experience in an investment/asset management role in Latin America
- Strong preference for experience of investing in sustainable agriculture and carbon markets.
- Strong knowledge in the fields of forest conservation and climate change mitigation.
- Experience in the use of public sector / philanthropic funding in blended finance
- Strong organisational and process management skills.
- Proven ability to work remotely.
- Masters level degree in finance/investment such as an MBA.
- Fluent in English and Spanish.
- Latin America based with ability to undertake frequent travel across Latin America and quarterly visits to UK.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and CV in English to office@Althelia.com by 30th October 2019.
Download the Job Description here.