Althelia Ecosphere (Æ) is an asset management business designed to pair economic and financial performance with premium social and environmental outcomes, impacts and risk management. We bring innovative conservation finance to projects, organisations and businesses that conserve the environment and improve peoples’ livelihoods whilst also being commercially successful over the long term. Our focus is on financing activities that address the major global environmental challenges such as climate change, protection of landscapes, soil and marine resources.
Environmental, Social and Corporate Governance (ESG) excellence is a key dimension of every project supported by Æ. We have developed an overarching ESG policy that is applied to every entity managed or operated within the Æ group, which at its core requires activities and investments (e.g. projects receiving investment from the group) to comply with the IFC Performance Standards. Additionally, other relevant internationally recognised standards such as CCB, Fairtrade and MSC are applied wherever relevant to further ensure that we operate at (and in many cases, define) the level of best practice. We believe that through achieving environmental and social excellence our projects will build robust, sustainable and long-lasting projects that will benefit communities and the environment beyond the life of Æ’s investment or engagement.
We have key ESG principles that apply to all our funds and activities, which also serve as the focus for our impact monitoring and reporting.
- We aim to be best in class in environmental and social performance.
- We expect activities we finance to:
- comply with internationally recognised performance standards and certifications as well as local laws and international conventions;
- provide quality employment;
- provide substantive, measurable, positive benefits to people and the environment;
- conserve natural habitats and wild species;
- apply high ethical standards and operate transparently.
- We measure and report on our progress.
- We expect open and constructive engagement with the organisations we invest in. We do not take finance from or finance projects or entities involved in the activities listed in our exclusions list (for more details please request a copy of our full ESG Policy).
- We also apply these principles to the way we operate.
All funds we manage develop their own ESG policy that apply our principles and policy in a manner tailored to their operations. Please see the individual fund pages for more details about their individual policies.
Request a copy of our full ESG Policy here.
Our ESG Performance
Our main ESG impacts are through the way we manage assets. However, we implement our own activities to minimise negative impacts and support positive change, for example:
- Environmental management of our office space, e.g. recycling, energy and water efficiency.
- We encourage cycling or walking to work and use of public transport by providing cycle storage, showers, and no parking spaces.
- We monitor and offset our CO2 emissions, which are primarily from air travel.
- We encourage and supporting employees who volunteer for charities.
- We commit to developing the skills and experience of our workforce and we operate an open consultative culture.